Fall 2021 Services:
Welcome! Retriever Integrated Health/Counseling Center (RIH) is open and offers both in-person and virtual appointments for the semester. We will continue to offer remote services due to safety considerations for the campus community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Therapists will meet virtually with students through a secure video conference platform (WebEx).
- The Counseling Center is also available for in-person appointments, but decisions about meeting in person will be made collaboratively between the student and their provider. Students must be fully vaccinated to participate in sessions held in person.
Due to applicable mental health licensure laws, please be advised that the Counseling Center can only provide ongoing counseling services to students who are physically located in the State of Maryland at the time of service. If you are located outside of Maryland, we can provide short-term crisis support and or referral assistance to a provider located within your state.
How to make an initial appointment?
There are two easy ways you can set up a brief, 20 – 30-minute phone appointment to speak with one of our clinicians.
- Online: Log into your student health portal at myretrievercare.umbc.edu. Click on Schedule an Appointment and follow instructions to select an Individual Triage Visit date and time that fits for you.
- By phone: Contact our front desk staff at 410-455-2472 to set up an appointment to talk with one of our therapists.
Prior to your appointment, you will be asked to complete a few electronic forms which can be accessed through your student health portal at myretrievercare.umbc.edu.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late to your appointment, we may ask you to reschedule.
- During the appointment, your counselor will review your concerns, consider your goals, discuss counseling options and resources, and collaboratively develop a plan for the support you need.
- Some options may include web- and app-based resources, workshops, short-term individual counseling, group counseling, or referral to a community-based provider and/or our campus partners.
Do you need emergency/crisis services?
During regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.): Call or drop-in to RIH and let our front desk staff know that you are experiencing a crisis. One of our counselors will call you back as soon as they can to provide you with support options and assist you with resources.
Are you interested in group counseling services?
Group services are currently fully remote due to COVID-19-related safety considerations. You can review our current group offerings here.
If you are interested in group therapy services, you can express your interest by contacting the group leader directly through your student health portal at myretrievercare.umbc.edu (select Send a Secure Message > New Message > Send Message About Your Interest in Group Therapy).